1915 Time Capsule from Ames City Hall
This photo shows the south side of Main Street looking east from the Kellogg Avenue corner. The new Ames National Bank is at the right. The Fair Store with the Masonic Lodge in its second floor is the third building from the corner. A streetcar is shown, heading west--overhead is a Chautauqua banner twisted by the wind.
This view of the north side of Main Street looks to the west from the Douglas Street intersection. On the right is the Union National Bank building. Judish Bros. shows above the Judisch Brothers Drug Store. Next is the Tilden Store. The tall building is the Odd Fellows Hall which burned in December of 1917. The Sheldon Munn Hotel would be constructed soon in the empty space just past the last brick building on the right (Grove Grocery with the Opera House upstairs).
This shows the south side of Main Street where it is intersected by Burnett Avenue. Roberson's new garage is the building on the far right. Next to it is the Olsan Building. Across the street to the east is the Frank E. Morris Livery. Note the Interurban streetcar heading east, coming into town from Des Moines.
This is an architect's perspective of Parley Sheldon's new bank. The bank was on the corner ground floor of the new Sheldon-Munn Hotel which was under construction when the Municipal Building (City Hall) was dedicated in 1915.