1941 photo shows the Ames Theater which opened in 1919 as the American Theater. It was after it was acquired in 1920 by Joe Gerbracht that the name changed to the Ames Theater. To the east of the Ames Theater is the Varsity Theater, built by Gerbracht in 1938. The Varsity is still in operation as a theater. (Farwell T. Brown Photographic Archive)
1930 issue of the West Ames News tells of new theater located at 2420 Lincoln Way.