Organization Day Program from September 24, 1916
Champlin's Hall, where Campus Methodist Episcopal Church was organized
The year 1916 marks the actual beginning of formal church activity by Methodists in the university community. Second floor rental space known as Champlin Hall was secured when it was vacated by the Presbyterians. The cost was $5.00 per month during the summer and $10.00 during the winter. On August 12, 1916 Rev. William S. Handy, appointed as student pastor in 1915, reported that there were 77 families in the college area who were Methodist by membership or by preference, so on September 24, 1916, the Campus Methodist Church was organized.
Pastor's home in 1916
The Shack which was dedicated January 23, 1921
In November of 1918, Proudfoot, Bird and Rawson were secured as architects for a church consisting of three parts, a social unit, and educational unit, and a chapel. Contractors Charles Weitz and Sons began the construction of a temporary one-story building on the completed foundation of the social unit with a 40' by 60' addition in the rear. This temporary building, officially designated as Wesley Hall but generally referred to as The Shack, was opened on January 16, and was dedicated on January 23, 1921. The building proved to be one of the most popular places at the university, being in demand by such aorganizations as the Faculty Women's Club and the Cosmopolitan Club, in addition to the Wesley Foundation work which was carried on every day rather than Sundays only.