When the municipal building was constructed in 1915, a time capsule was prepared and placed. In 1996 when the city offices moved to the present location in the old High School, the structure was remodelled to accomodate Youth and Shelter Services. At that time the capsule was retrieved. Although some of the materials had sustained moisture damage, the contents of the time capsule have been archived at Ames Historical Society headquarters and can be viewed by the public.
1913 Ames Chautauqua Program
City of Ames Financial Report for 1915
Brochure promoting the City of Ames
Early Ames photo post cards - Main Street
Early Ames post cards - churches, schools
Photo of William West, first mayor of Ames
This postcard of the Ames Depot demonstrates
the hazy condition caused by the damage of time and moisture.
(back to About Ames)