The spot the several railroad tracks crossed Grand Avenue was an at grade crossing until the underpass was built in 1937-1938. This 1936 photo looks north up Grand Avenue with Lincoln Way visible in the foreground. Note the two cars parked on the grounds of the Interurban Depot north of Lincoln Way.
Photos on this page are from the Iowa Department of Transportation Photographic Archive.
This view, also from 1936, also looks north along Grand Avenue, but was taken on the north side of the Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern depot. The Chicago & North Western Railroad's water tank is at right center.
This 1936 view of the at grade railroad crossing (looking southeast) shows a segment of Grand Avenue. A sign for Kimler Coal Co. is visible beyond the tracks. Note the safety fence at the left that separated the east and west main track lines.
(click to enlarge)
This 1936 photo was taken looking southeasterly from a point on the main line track system and about 100 feet west of the old grade crossing at Grand Avenue. Because the crossing was a grade crossing, full time guards were maintained around the clock. The crossing guard's shelter is clearly shown (see man with arm pointing). The Ames High's Field House is in left background and the Interurban Depot is seen on the right.
This 1937 aerial view shows construction underway on the Grand Avenue underpass. The Highway Commission (later Iowa Department of Transportation) building on Lincoln Way is visible lower right. Opposite the Highway Building was Lloyd's Service Station on corner of Elm Street. Woodland Dairy Farm Store was across from Commission Drive. Sorenson's 66 (service) Station was where the current DOT entrance is today (1992). In the center of the image is the Interurban Railroad Depot where the ISU Credit Union stands today.
Construction workers from Ben Cole & Son are shown constructing the Grand Avenue underpass in 1937. Heavy timbers were used to temporarily support the railroad tracks that continued to carry their traffic while construction of the underpass proceeded. During construction all of the Grand Avenue traffic was detoured over a temporary railroad crossing south of Brookridge Avenue, which later became permanent.
This photo was taken in 1938 following the completion of the railroad underpass. By this time the Interurban Depot was relocated slightly west away from Grand Avenue. Kimler Coal Company and storage piles of coal can be seen to the right of center.