Unpublished Tribune photo from May 1957
Experienced curb and gutterman from Boone, Stanley Risdal, is shown making repairs to a sidewalk close to the intersection of Lincoln Way and Clark (and South Walnut). Smith Square Deal station at 428 Lincoln Way is seen in the background. The young helper has been identified as Chuck Kilstrom.
This view of Lincoln Way Square Deal station is from the January 19, 1942, issue of Life Magazine that reported on a blizzard which attacked Ames and the rest of the Midwest. This station, owned by A. J. Lewis, and several other central Iowa Square Deal stations eventually started the Casey's General Store empire.
From Answers.com's page about Casey's General Stores under Company History
Casey's origins can be traced to Domenic Lamberti, an Italian immigrant and former coal miner who opened a coal- and ice-delivery business on the north side of Des Moines, Iowa, at Broadway and Northeast 14th streets, in 1935. His business developed into a neighborhood grocery store with gasoline outside. (It later became a Casey's.) Donald F. Lamberti, his son, began working in the store, in his words, "about the time my chin could get above the counter." He left his accounting studies at Drake University in 1960 to take over the store when his father became ill.
In 1967 Kurvin C. Fish, a salesman who sold Lamberti his gasoline, persuaded him to buy an Ames, Iowa oil company, which owned four Square Deal service stations. Lamberti provided the capital: $40,000 down on a total cost of $200,000, plus a $40,000 equipment loan from a local bank. Fish agreed to operate the enterprise, which got its name from his first and middle initials. "We talked about calling it 'Lamberti's General Stores,"' Lamberti told a Chicago Tribune reporter in 1994, "but there are a lot of folks who don't like Italians. We wanted a generic name that no one would dislike."
The first Casey's convenience store was one of the four properties, a converted three-bay gasoline station in Boone, Iowa. It opened in 1968 and was, according to Lamberti, "a hit from day one." In its first year the store attained profit margins the partners had projected for the third year. "We didn't call it a convenience store early on," Lamberti later recalled to a newspaper reporter. "We called it just a general store with gasoline." Soon they opened similar stores in Creston, Waukee and Saylorville.