Two ladies in hats
Nichols Brothers Livery, ca 1890
Charles and George Nichols operated the livery located on the north side of Onondaga (Main) Street and close to the Duff intersection. The livery prospered because of its proximity to the Ames Depot and the Ames Hotel. The business was later purchased by Lynn Morris and known then as Morris Livery.
This postcard from 1920 shows the Ames High School building on the east side of Clark Avenue. Later, the building was expanded on the south and north ends, making the end classrooms about 8 to 10 feet longer than they were when this photo taken. This building was razed in 1981. Some Ames residents remember this building as East Central.
Alfred's Service, located at the corner of Franklin and Lincoln Way
Story County blacksmith shop
from a glass plate negative, ca 1895
(Photo of the Month Archive)
(back to Ames Historical Society)